Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Economists are amusing

I thought that this was a rather amusing quote

"Japan's suicide rate rose from 22104 in 1992 to a record high of 33048 in 1999. Needless to mention the destruction of human resources - voluntary exits from the market oppurtunities of this world? is an indication that the factor inputs are not fully utillized ( and also that the neoclassical conception of market clearing and individual behaviour may be inadequate)"

So basically when people aren't employed they "exit" the market by killing themselves. Ahhhh dear somethings gone wrong when economists are putting the problem of suicide down to market failure. Cynical bastards hehehehe... They really do have a warped view on the world, people are just useful for making statistics and observing trends errrr right???

10 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger Eh? said...

I'm not sure (you can clarify me on this), but economists only care about trends and figures right?

Sounds alot like what I'm doing lol...

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They care about slightly more than trends and figures... they are also very fond of models - economic and otherwise. :-P

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Ascasewwen said...

LOL, Em!

This quote still amuses me, although it rather concerns me as well.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Kate dear? *smiles sweetly*

I agree - I too was both amused and concerned. Although I must admit, with great shame naturally, that I was more amused than concerned! Economists these days..! lol.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Ascasewwen said...

Em why are you smiling sweetly at me laughing at your good call?? You're paranoid. Incidentally I'm sure you could have said something else about figures there, along the same lines as the model comment...

My amusement at the suicide quote far outweighs my concern, sadly. lol

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me? Paranoid? I am not paranoid! Why do you think I'm paranoid? Why does everyone always think I am paranoid!? I am so not paranoid!

:-P

Lol - yes, I did think of mentioning the figures but decided the simplicity of the models would do. He he he.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Oh dear...

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*grins*

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol!! Oh dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home